20A - Growing Your Social Capital

Industry Expert: My neighbor Kyle Resnik

1) Kyle is an app developer for a small firm in Winter Park, FL. His current project is to develop an app for students that should rival something like blackboard or canvas. He has produced many other small apps before and I think he could create a great app that I envisioned. He also has a lot of expertise in database management so that he could run the backend operations of the company that would tie the app to bank accounts and financial services. I walked over to Kyle's house and asked him about what exactly he did and what he plans to do in the future. I pitched him my app idea and he really liked it. He thought that my app could be very successful with the right team and the right business model. I really appreciated Kyles honest feedback about the potential of the app and the areas where the app might not be all the way thought through yet.

Domain Expert: My friends mom Theresa Colling

1.) Theresa is a financial planner at Suntrust bank in Maitland. She has vast experience with banking and finance in general that would contribute a ton to my knowledge on budgeting and saving. Theresa also has a college aged son and she could relate to the type of budget that the college kids have. I talked to Theresa on the phone and she was very complementary of the idea. She was onboard with the financial requirements and she thought that my idea was feasible if done correctly.

Industry Supplier:

1.) I am not sure how my idea would be a supplier for this type of business operation. The app does not require sales as it will be a free app contained on the app store and the Google store. The app is meant to be downloaded and it will have a few advertisements in order to make some money.

I really enjoyed this experience. I learned a lot about what it might take to build a team in order to reach your business goals. I enjoyed talking to industry experts that we're very knowledgeable and competent in their own fields and seeing how those fields were tied together. I really appreciated the time that each expert gave me and the patience that had for the young entrepreneur to talk to them.

Comments

  1. Hi Michael,

    I definitely enjoyed the chance to read over your discussion post this time around where you analyzed three sources of social capital that are present in your life. I enjoyed hearing about how all three of the influences were knowledgeable and competent which in turn, can offer you an optional outlet for influence and idea generation. Moreover, you demonstrated how you learned more about team building activities and how they can help you reach your business goals at the end of the day. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    Awesome job at targeting some great experts! It is fascinating to observe how every student becomes more knowledgeable and more of an expert themselves in their own ideas as we seek other experts to discuss with. I personally loved this assignment, because it allowed me to become in touch with people who I find genuinely interesting, even outside of their field knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment